Jardinerias calendarHow to Grow in Summer: Tasks of the Season
Before learning how to grow in summer, it is necessary that you consider some recommendations regarding the summer garden. First, answer the questions of what, how and when. This is very easy, you can take advantage planting schedules according to your region to find out what are the best species to plant in summer.
The calendar is divided by seasons, or by heat and cold. You can also use the lunar calendar, which tells you, day by day, if it is conducive to cultivate species whose exploitation is the flower, leaf or root, based on the phases of our natural satellite. It is not at all difficult and will help greatly to plant in summer.
Calculate how much you’re going to plant of each species. This depends on several factors: the available space, the number of guests, how this ingredient is used in foods, maintainability or irrigation, etc. Avoid producing more than necessary of the same species, and vary more to grow in summer. Unlike what happens in winter, in the warm season the possibilities are more extensive.
Once you have selected the species, the next step to grow in summer is to separate the need for nursery and transplanted to accept by seed (direct seeding). In the first case, you should have advance steps in the spring, using cans, flower pots, window boxes or crates of fruit. In the second, it is realized on earth, always paying attention to the separation between the seeds and partnerships (not to root two species because they fight for the same nutrients).
How to plant seedlings in summer
This species requiring special treatment are lettuce, cabbage, cauliflower, onion, leek, tomatoes, broccoli, spinach and beets, among others. To plant these vegetables in summer, they must first have gone through an earlier stage. The seedbed is prepared, as stated above, in a container that can be moved to where you want and protect it from rain or sun.
This way of farming is also used to get earlier crops, or if we have already been doing direct seeding. To bring the plant already grown to land, it is more likely to grow and develop to the size we want.
Transplantation is very important to plant in summer, but also in other seasons. Is performed when the plant has three or four leaves, or when the stem has the thickness of a pen or pencil. Should be covered with earth so that no root is exposed, then keep the routine of watering as other plants.
What species can be grown in summer?
Planning is very important for summer planting. If you have very clear which of the species suitable for this time of year are the ones that interest you consume or produce, everything will be much easier. You can make a brief review of your usual diet (and your family) to find out which vegetables are the more you need. You can also try new, in that case it sparingly.
The best species to plant in summer are:
– Carrot: Although you can plant all year, the harvest is during the summer, so the planting is done about three months before (early spring). They plant seeds in till and what is consumed is the root. To collect, pull gently pressing from the stem. It is recommended daily watering in summer.
– Pepper: All species of peppers can be grown in summer. A juvenile plant in the greenhouse with light all day (but not direct). When and is large enough, it goes to the ground, leaving a gap of 75 cm between each plant, which require abundant irrigation.
– Lettuce: It should be planted in summer, but first to the nursery (in spring). It grows when the weather is moderate, choose a shaded half the day. Abundantly watered and pay attention to the slugs and snails because they love.
‘Take: This is the quintessential summer ideal for planting plant loves heat and sun. You need abundant watering and tie her to a tutor (stick or cane) not bend and break under the weight of the fruit.
– Squash: Seeding is summer and grows wide, therefore, pay attention to leave enough space between your seed and other species. It can be grown in summer and if properly cared for, their production is high. While the fruit is consumed mostly try breaded and fried leaves. He likes the sun and requires watering pretty hot weather.
– Potato: If you decide to plant potatoes in the summer, you should know that it’s a little late to enjoy them before the season ends. The seed is placed at 20 cm from the surface and keep in mind that it is a large plant, which grows and multiplies depending on the location and irrigation.
As last advice for growing in summer, remember not to place the seeds or seedlings close together, and not make the mistake of associating bad because it will not grow any species.